Lumin d2 vs t2

Power is everything. Some of the biggest improvements, outside of getting that expensive component upgrade you've been eyeing, come from upgrading the electrical power supply to your system.

Whether it's upgraded cables, a power conditioner, or better individual PSUs for components, the jump in detail, bass extension, air, and dynamics are electrifying. These are accompanied by notable drops in grain, noise floor, and a general fog around the sound that you didn't even know was there until it went away. It replaces the IEC connector on the back with a custom plate that allows the external Sbooster to directly supply the Lumin board with power. If you find any item on our website available for a lower price elsewhere, contact us.

We will meet or beat any verifiable price from an authorized dealer. We accept offers on our inventory of used equipment that does not have a posted price. Don't low-ball us.

Magico A3’s with Gryphon Diablo 300, Chord DAVE and Lumin U1

We won't respond. We do not accept offers on used equipment that has a posted price; these items are priced according to market value and will sell. We create package deals for our customers that cannot be beat. And, we take trade-ins! Contact us for expert consultation when making any upgrades to your system. Search Shop Expand menu Collapse menu. Headphone Cables Accessories. Brands Expand menu Collapse menu.

Add to Cart. It's easy--you can most certainly do it at home: Unplug the Lumin and open it up. Attach the plate where the IEC connector was, and plug the wire into the board again. Close up the Lumin and be prepared to have the jaw drop at the improvement! New Equipment If you find any item on our website available for a lower price elsewhere, contact us.

Used Equipment We accept offers on our inventory of used equipment that does not have a posted price.The Swiss Army knife approach is attractive until you want to go down the upgrade path. I favor separate streamer and dac, for the simple reason that the dac can be upgraded independent of the streamer.

Also, separate preamp betters the all in one combo. Just my two cents worth. Both great products, however.

Lumin T2 Network Music Player

Although it is true having separate components is generally a good idea in Hi-Fi, we favor an integrated streamer and DAC that we call network player because:. The external connection between them - usually USB nowadays, is often a weak link that prevents the DAC from performing at its full potential. Therefore we see so many USB cleaning products.

As for SPDIF or AES connections, there are limitations to maximum of DSD support and inherent jitter due to the source clock design and interference from external cable - that is why people find different digital cables can sound different. There are so many posts in this forum with various types of streamer-DAC issues including odd functional issues, native DSD limitations, Pi Ethernet sample rate limitation, using a Roon Ready player with analog output avoids a lot of trouble.

Note that this is obviously a subjective feeling for me, and not my attempt to offer a universal truth for others. Although it is true having separate components is generally a good idea in Hi-Fi, we favor an integrated streamer and DAC that we call network player because: The external connection between them - usually USB nowadays, is often a weak link that prevents the DAC from performing at its full potential.The T2 can play all your downloaded and ripped music files, as well as lossless and hi-rez music from Tidal and Qobuz, under control of an app running on an iOS or Android device.

Getting the T2 on to your home network is a piece of cake -- but to play files, you also have to configure a network drive so that the T2 can see its contents.

Depending on your system configuration, that could be a little challenging. Measuring My review sample was finished in brushed, black-anodized aluminum; raw brushed aluminum is also available. In both finishes, the machined top and side panels have been treated to achieve an elegant grained effect.

The back-raked, matte-finished front panel bows gracefully outward. At the center, a rectangular OLED screen shows Now Playing information: track name at top, artist name below that, file format and resolution at bottom, track number at right, and elapsed time at far right. The T2 is intended strictly for network playback. The T2 does not have built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. To connect the player to your home network, you have to run a network cable from its Gigabit Ethernet port to your network router.

If your router is in a different room from the T2, you can do as I did and connect it to a Wi-Fi access point. With its bit digital volume control, the T2 can be connected directly to a power amp or to a set of active or powered speakers -- which is how I used it. Volume is then controlled from the Lumin app -- or, if you use the T2 as a Roon endpoint, from the Roon app. The leaflet covers the basics of setup and system configuration, but assumes considerable expertise, especially in playing files.

I found these pages commendably detailed and easy to understand. The Lumin app immediately found and displayed that library. The Guide instructs you to connect the Lumin to your amplifier using balanced or unbalanced interconnects, balanced XLR being preferred.

The default settings were perfect for my application. Enter the login information for your service sand you can access it from within the Lumin app. The logos of my streaming services, Tidal and Qobuz, appeared in the menu bar of the Lumin app. Other features were missing, such as the ability to view liner notes in Qobuz. From the Lumin app you can also access music stored on network and USB drives -- the Setup menu has an option for choosing your music library.

With the Uniti Core, the Lumin app let me sort by song title, album title, album artist, and genre, as well as by folder and file names, by tapping icons on the menu bar. With the thumb drive, I could view only folder and file names -- no metadata. The whole track swung irresistibly, and sounded effortlessly natural. In particular, the T2 delivered the percussive conclusion with greater excitement. It sold over a million copies.

The first movement begins in the double basses, which sounded a little more woody and growly through the Lumin than through the Naim. From this beginning, a slow, melancholy canon steadily builds, as the cellos, violas, and violins enter in sequence. As the movement proceeded, with the Lumin I found the orchestral layering better -- the dense counterpoint was more clearly resolved -- and the soundstage bigger.

But as the canon rose through the lower strings to the violins, string tones were sweeter through the Naim. Halfway into the movement the canon ends, and a piano note and quavering violins introduce a 15th-century lament, sung by Gibbons. Her voice sounded warmer through the Naim -- it was a little papery through the Lumin. The same pattern repeated itself in the final movement, scored mainly for voice, piano, and upper strings.Improved bass slam and definition, more body, ease, and increased air.

A huge boost in performance for an already impressive component. Highly recommended. You will also need the Lumin connection kit.

This new approach combines solid CNC panel construction with X1 technology to hit the performance sweet spot. All-new chassis construction featuring thick CNC panels offers upgraded structural rigidity and shielding from the T1. Also has an internal power supply. Full Retina Display support.

Android devices. Android 4. If you find any item on our website available for a lower price elsewhere, contact us. We will meet or beat any verifiable price from an authorized dealer.

We accept offers on our inventory of used equipment that does not have a posted price. Don't low-ball us. We won't respond. We do not accept offers on used equipment that has a posted price; these items are priced according to market value and will sell. We create package deals for our customers that cannot be beat.

And, we take trade-ins! Contact us for expert consultation when making any upgrades to your system.

lumin d2 vs t2

Search Shop Expand menu Collapse menu. Headphone Cables Accessories. Brands Expand menu Collapse menu. Lumin T2 Network Music Player. Add to Cart. In-store tested and capable of handling even DSD flawlessly! Sbooster Audiophile Power Supplies.This new approach combines solid CNC panel construction with X1 technology to hit the performance sweet spot.

While T2 is not milled from the solid aluminum block, it appears so, due to the massive one-piece front panel that reflects X1 design. Modular chassis structure was designed from the ground up to deal with the resonances and micro-vibrations. T2 has a lot to offer and due to implementation of many of the advantages from the flagship X1. Here are a few of the highlights The app is easy to navigate and it really shouldn't be problematic to use even to the novice digital audio user or someone that is not exactly computer savvy.

For sure one of the best things in my profession is using the music I love for the evaluation. In the era where millions of songs are available at the tip of the click, there is no need either to complaint about the lacking of music material and of qualitative reference listening material. You can choose your posing. I like the all-round logical handling and the refined minimalistic aura.

It feels how LUMIN team takes time to deliver their products and in the world of fast-forwarding pacing. If products are not rushed into the market everybody benefits all-around. T2's monumental and refined minimalistic aesthetics are keeping the brand's design orientation that is instantly recognizable, modern and stylish. LUMIN has found a great continuous and eye-catching blueprint across the complete product line. The same goes for their sonic DNA, that keeps the most important attributes even with more affording products like T2.

T2 comes highly close to the X1 fast-paced nature, transparency and dynamic quality and that's quite an achievement for it's given price. T2 follows closely the LUMIN's sonic nucleus, translating into the unaltered and highly involving music reproduction across all of the music material. It was great to discover how albeit T2's open and transparent nature it was no stranger to the organic life-like warmness when needed.

I have little doubts, that the last option is most tempting as it offers the most as all in one device. As expected, there were no sonic changes in all combination, when used as a streamer or with Roon with the above mentioned DACs.

Lumin D2 or Auralic Altair...?

The interactive ability of the component can be a trendy and pleasant form of flattery. When it comes down to the reality check not everything is always as advertised. Even within the very first hour of listening, I've could decipher the familiar qualities that have extended across all of the music genres. Easy lock and load with all kind of music is something that every DAC or music stream should be striving for and that is not always the case.

More and more people are hankering for the friction-less experience regardless of content being server. LUMIN T2 acts as an antidote to the shattered reality with its ability to reconstruct the music intimately close to the original.

Establishing such an act is far from ordinary easy tasking and this is one of the T2' prominent qualities worthy of all of the highlighting. LUMIN T2 follows the eminent path set by the X1 with a hefty amount of exceptional, beyond good aspects, escaping the T2's price tagging easily. Completely redesigned analogue buffer includes audiograde output capacitor and ultra-low-noise and high dynamic range.As is customary for our own reviews, the writer's signature at review's end shows an e-mail address should you have questions or wish to send feedback.

All images contained in this piece are the property of Dawid Grzyb or Lumin - Ed. Audiophile streamers or devices known as just network players are a sign of them times. They are another proof that file-based playback is ever growing in popularity. One can say that music stored on hard drives is unstoppable. Quality wise it can only get better. Since file playback is so popular, every manufacturer wants a ride. Each retail shelf has at least several devices to pick from.

It's beneficial for consumers. But the world doesn't end there. DACs are of great importance no doubt. But at the same time, they're merely part of a bigger scheme. In recent years there have been major changes to digital transports. CD players stepped down, computers took their place.

Sbooster Lumin D2-T2-U1 Mini Connection Kit

Many people are extremely happy about how things are. Yet there are listeners with a more thorough approach to music who don't want to use PCs or Macs as storage devices.

There are many reasons behind their attitude, with the vast majority perfectly understandable. It's safe to say that computers handling transport duties are on the very bottom of their list. Mainly it's about power purity and specialization. Some of us will do literally anything for music, yes? I'm starting to understand that on some level. Where enthusiast can't tolerate computers no matter what, audiophile streamers come into play.

They work over the local area network. What's needed is usually a physical connection to your router, a tablet serving as remote control and DLNA-based storage. If a NAS is part of a home network, the desktop computer can become a strike-through item on the equation; no questions asked, no looking back.

In such an environment, Lumin feel as comfy as a fish in the sea. Their D1 model is the most affordable full-fledged streamer in the line-up. And then some. Design and configuration. Sound and functionality aspects aside, the A1 also arrived with scout boots to gather market feedback.

Since that was very positive, more Lumin decks popped up. For extreme audiophiles there was the S1. Those two basically share the same guts, therefore sound quality. But their boxes differ. The T1 is simpler, dare I say less elegant.This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Forums New posts Search forums. Articles New articles New comments Series Search articles.

Log in Register. What's new Search Search Everywhere items This category. Search titles only. Search Advanced search…. New items. New comments. Latest reviews. Search Head Gear. Log in.

Lumin T2 Network Music Player

Lumin D2 - Reviews. JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Added by davehg Create date Feb 27, Tags lumin mqa music streamer roon ready endpoint. Overview Reviews 1 Gallery.

lumin d2 vs t2

Pros : Features, sound fidelity, Roon compatibility, price. I've enjoyed digital audio for quite some time, ditching my high end CD transport in for a Mac Mini based music server feeding a high end DAC, and later adding a highly modified Squeezebox SB3 with a custom linear power supply.

This setup "served" me well until I tired of having a computer system in my listening room. This setup served me well until it became clear that Sony would not support high rez music streaming services - they could tolerate supporting Spotify but not a service like Tidal or Qobuz which might arguably compete with their hi rez downloads.

The moment I tried Tidal and later Qobuz was the moment I realized that devices like the Sony would become high end bricks - very useful for the or so albums I owned but useless for the modern age. I went looking for a music streamer, and quickly fell down the rabbit hole. Music streamers are all over the board in terms of features and price, as the market has exploded for these devices.

High price doesn't always equate to more features, and my desire to find a "one size box that does all" and avoid a computer in my system proved to be challenging. At the low end were boxes like Sonos, Auralic Mini, and BlueSound, which supported many features but simply lacked the high end fidelity chops to be considered as seriously replacements to the wonderful sounding Sony or my now 14 year old DAC. At the other end were devices like Aurender, which seem to have the goods sonically, but which were priced very high and didn't support MQA or stored files or even have an integrated DAC at least not at the price points I was looking at.

Audiophiles are odd cheapskates. They can spend thousands on an amp but balk at paying a few hundred for cables. They can skimp on a tube amp but spent a small fortune on rolling vintage tubes. And most of these high end devices are supported by a proprietary app whose features and quality seemed to vary widely, from barely functional to not quite ready for the big leagues.

Then something fascinating happened in my journey - I discovered Roon. Without going into too much detail on Roon, think of it like an operating system for music that is hardware agnostic. It can run on any computer Linux, Apple, Android, Windows and work with any hardware that is roon capable. One app, that brings together all of your stored music together with all of your music services including Tidal and now Qobuz, in one search interface.

It lets you simultaneously stream different music files to all your roon compatible devices. So missus can listen to her music on the Sonos in the office while I rock out to my headphone system in our living room and my kids groove to their music on their laptops in their room. All I needed for high end nirvana was a Roon capable endpoint, which is a fancy name for a music streamer and DAC.

Hence my search and hence the review of the Lumin D2.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *